Previously, you get information about the Kathmandu Arrival Guide which focused on the your convenient travel in Kathmandu, secure your accommodation without any difficulties in the last minute, prepare for the further journey and the sites you can travel to explore in your trip. In this series, you will get information about the domestic aviation sector of Nepal.
The Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu is the hub of all air services inside the country. If you like to travel via airways rather than road transport, then you can use the domestic flight of Nepal to go to various parts of Nepal. All the domestic airports are connected with the Airport of Kathmandu. The Tribhuvan International Airport is divided into two terminal, i.e. International Terminal and Domestic Terminal. The time difference between these terminal is 10-15 minutes on walking from outside by a passenger. Both the International and domestic flights take off from the same runway.
You can use the domestic flight to save your time. In some sector, it will be compulsion to use the flight such as Kathmandu to Lukla, Nepalgunj to Simikot. Here, you have less alternative. Otherwise, you will have alternative of roadways to connect the major cities of Nepal. The highways of Nepal looks like the roads of countryside which might not so comfortable for old-aged travelers, children, etc. So, the best options is the use of Domestic Airlines.
Procedure to check-in at Domestic Airport in Kathmandu
While you use domestic airlines during your journey, you must reach at the airport 1 hour before the flight time. Here are some departure and arrival formalities and the check in procedure at the domestic terminal in Kathmandu.
- When you reach the parking area of Domestic Airport, just enter from the tunnel and you will reach to the departure gate. You have to show your tickets at the entrance.
- Firstly, you get in at the terminal, you must process X-ray check for your baggage and you have to pass from the metal entrance.
- After you pass the security check in, collect you baggage and go to the counter. You will see the counter of different airlines with the flight route. If you don’t find your flight sector in the counter, please ask at the counter of respective airlines. Sometimes, the check in procedure may get delayed.
- While getting the boarding pass, you can request them to provide the mountain facing window seat if you check in earlier. There is no specific assignment of seats on the airlines and classes of seats. All the seats of foreigners will be ‘Y’ class, but you will not find any different between others. So, you can make a special request.
- While traveling, make sure that you keep your valuable things, travel documents, cameras, and other breakable legal gadgets will be with you on your hand carry baggage.
- Make sure, your luggage is locked properly. While checking the baggage, they will weigh at first. Please note that you will get different baggage allowance according to the flight sector. Check your flight ticket before packing your baggage. Don’t forget to take the baggage coupon.
- After you get boarding pass, just move ahead and processed for the security check up. You will get Security Checked Stamp and the security officer will check you hand carry baggage again. Once you enter with the stamp, you can’t get out of the gate. In the waiting lounge, you will find grocery, ATM, etc.
- You will get information about the boarding or the time schedule of flight at the display board. When they announce the flight number and the flight sector, exit from the gate and get in the waiting vehicle. The bus will take you to the plane for flight enplaning.
The departure formalities are almost similar of the different airport. After the domestic flight deplaning, go straight towards exit gate and wait for the luggage. Once you get the baggage, check if there is any problem. And claim the baggage with the baggage coupon.
To reach various parts of Nepal via airways, there are about eight scheduled domestic airlines and nine charter airlines in Nepal.
The Scheduled airlines of Nepal
- Nepal Airlines (RA)
- Buddha Air (U4)
- Tara Airlines (YT)
- Sita Air (ST)
- Summit Airlines (SMA)
- Shree Airlines (SHA)
- Simrik Airlines (RMK)
- Saurya Airlines (S1)
The major domestic airport connected with Tribhuvan International Airport (KTM) with the airlines is as follows.
- Pokhara Domestic Airport (PKR), Kaski (Buddha Air, Yeti Airlines, Nepal Airlines, Shree Airlines, Sita Air, Simrik Airlines)
- Bharatpur Domestic Airport (BHR), Chitwan (Buddha Air, Yeti Airlines, Simrik Airlines, Nepal Airlines)
- Bhairahawa Airport (BWR), Lumbini, Rupandehi (Buddha Air, Nepal Airlines, Saurya Airlines, Shree Airlines, Simrik Airlines, Yeti Airlines)
- Nepalgunj Airport (KEP), Banke (Buddha Air, Yeti Airlines, Saurya Airlines)
- Dhangadi Airport (DHI), Kailali (Buddha Air, Yeti Airlines, Saurya Airlines, Shree Airlines)
- Biratnagar Airport (BRT), Morang (Buddha Air, Yeti Airlines, Shree Airlines, Saurya Airlines, Nepal Airlines)
- Bhadrapur Airport (BDR), Jhapa (Buddha Air, Nepal Airlines, Saurya Airlines, Shree Airlines, Yeti Airlines)
- Simara Airport (SIF), Bara (Buddha Air, Yeti Airlines, Nepal Airlines, Simrik Airlines)
- Janakpur Airport (JKR), Dhanusha (Buddha Air, Yeti Airlines, Shree Airlines)
- Tumlingtar Airport (TMI), Sankhuwasabha (Buddha Air, Yeti Airlines, Sita Air, Summit Air, Tara Air)
- Taplejung Airport (TPJ), Taplejung (Nepal Airlines, Summit Air, Tara Air on charter)
- Rajbiraj Airport (RJB), Saptari (Buddha Air, Yeti Airlines, Shree Airlines)
- Surkhet Airport (SKH), Birendranagar, Surkhet (Buddha Air, Yeti Airlines, Nepal Airlines)
- Tenzing Hilary Airport (LUA), Lukla, Solukhumbu (Sita Air, Summit Air, Tara Air, Simrik Airlines)
- Bhojpur Airport (BHP), Bhojpur (Tara Air, Nepal Airlines
- Rumjatar Airport (RUM), Okhaldhunga (Tara Air, Nepal Airlines)
- Phaplu Airport (PPL), Phaplu, Solukhumbu (Tara Air and Sita Air on Charter, Summit Air, Nepal Airlines)
- Lamidanda Airport (LDN), Khotang (Nepal Airlines, Tara Air)
Please note that the flight of Kathmandu (KTM) to Lukla (LUA) can operate from the Manthali Airport (RCH), Ramechhap too dring the high season.
Airport Connected with Pokhara Airport, Pokhara, Kaski
- Bharatpur Domestic Airport (BHR), Chitwan (Buddha Air, Yeti Airlines)
- Bhairahawa Airport (BWR), Lumbini, Rupandehi (Buddha Air, Yeti Airlines)
- Jomsom Airport (JOM), Mustang (Sita Air, Summit Air, Tara Air)
Airport Connected with Biratnagar Airport, Morang
- Pokhara Airport (PKR), Pokhara, Kaski (Buddha Air)
- Bhojpur Airport (BHP), Bhojpur (Nepal Airlines)
- Tumlingtar Airport (TMI), Sankhuwasabha (Buddha Air)
- Lamidanda Airport (LDN), Khotang (Sita Air)
- Thamkharka Airport, Khotang (Nepal Airlines)
- Taplejung Airport (TPJ), Taplejung (Sita Air)
- Rumjatar Airport (RUM), Okhaldhunga (Nepal Airlines)
Airport connected with Nepalgunj Airport, Banke
- Simikot Airport (IMK), Humla (Nepal Airlines, Sita Air, Summit Air, Tara Air, Makalu Air)
- Dolpa Airport (DOP), Dolpa (Nepal Airlines, Sita Air, Summit Air, Tara Air, Makalu Air)
- Jumla Airport (JUM), Jumla (Nepal Airlines, Sita Air, Summit Air, Tara Air, Makalu Air)
- Talcha Airport, Rara, Mugu (Nepal Airlines, Sita Air, Summit Air, Tara Air, Makalu Air)
- Bajura Airport (BJU), Bajura (Nepal Airlines, Sita Air, Summit Air, Tara Air, Makalu Air)
- Rukum Salle Airport, Western Rukum (Nepal Airlines)
- Rukum Chaurjahari Airport (RUK), Western Rukum (Nepal Airlines)
- Sanfebagar Airport (FEB), Achham (Nepal Airlines)
Airport connected with Surkhet Airport, Birendranagar Surkhet
- Simikot Airport (IMK), Humla (Summit Air, Makalu Air)
- Jumla Airport (JUM), Jumla (Summit Air, Makalu Air)
- Talcha Airport, Rara, Mugu (Summit Air, Makalu Air)
- Bajura Airport (BJU), Bajura (Summit Air, Makalu Air)
Beside these airports, there are many domestic airports in various part of Nepal which are used for seasonal basis and the charter flight. Few airports are changed into grassland although the charter Heli flight can be landed.
The Charter Airlines
- Air Dynasty
- Altitude Air
- Fishtail Air
- Heli Everest
- Kailash Helicopter Service
- Makalu Air
- Manang Air
- Prabhu Helicopter
- Simrik Air
Moreover, These charter airlines are specially used for the adventurous flights like Heli tour, Sky diving, etc. and rescue in the emergency and travel through the private way. During the trekking in the higher altitude or expedition, these charter airlines are used for rescue in case of an emergency. Besides this, they are used for corporate flight, rescue operation, aerial flight or filming, adventure flights, sling operation, etc.
Furthermore, you will get the domestic flight tickets of developed cities from Kathmandu, like Pokhara, Bharatpur, Bhairahawa, Nepalgunj, etc. But it might be difficult to get the ticket of remote sectors such as Jomsom, Lukla, etc. It is because only a few airlines operate a flight with small aircraft. The runway of the airport in the remote area is small, so the small aircraft operate the flight. It also depends upon the weather in those areas. In the case of Lukla and Jomsom, all the flights operate before 10 am.
Thus, it might be difficult to get seats in these sectors. During the trekking season, one must hold the seats before 30 days. And it is easy through the tour operator to get the flight of the remote sector. It is not compulsion, but it supports to confirm the tickets and thus you can plan your trekking as your choice.
If you have any queries or need any support, please comment here. If you are planning to make your trip to Nepal, I shall be grateful to help you to organize your trip to Nepal. Please connect via Whatsapp, +977-9860804860.