Pathibhara Devi Temple is located on the hill of Taplejung at an elevation of 3,794m. It is also renowned as Mukkumlung (which is mentioned in the Mundum of the Limbu people). It is one of the most significant temples in Nepal and is also considered one of the holy places for the Limbu people. Worshippers from different parts of Nepal and India flock to the temple during special occasions, as it is believed that a pilgrimage to the temple ensures the fulfilment of the pilgrims' wishes. It is considered one of the Shakti Peeth (power center).
The best time to visit the temple is from March to May and September to November. The trek to Pathibhara temple (3,794m) is combined with natural and cultural exploration making it a uniquely exhilarating experience. The forest ecosystem along offers a diversity of wildlife, birds, flowers and butterflies. The whole of the Kanchenjunga range can be seen from the trekking route of the region. On the way to the Pathibhara trek, the tourists can enjoy the views of waterfalls, the Timbung Pond and many ancient monasteries.
Highlights of Trek
||07 Nights/ 08 Days
|| 3,794m (Pathibhara temple)
||Mt. Kanchenjunga (8,586m), Mt. Kumbakarna (Jannu, 7711m).
||Tamor River, Kabeli River
||Rhododendron, Juniper, Larch, Pine Forests
||Kathmandu (KTM) – Bhadrapur (BDP) – Kathmandu (KTM)
||Hills and Mountains, Grasslands Plateau, Basins, Valleys
||Altitude Sickness (Above 3000)
||Star Category hotels in Kathmandu, Tourist standard lodges/teahouse lodge in Trekking
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu
Upon arrival at Kathmandu’s Tribhuvan International Airport, transfer to the hotel. After some refreshment, there will be a short briefing about the trek regarding the schedule, required trekking gears, services, and facilities we provided during the drive and trekking areas.
The rest of the time is free for trekking preparation.
Overnight at a hotel in Kathmandu.
Day 02: Half-Day Sightseeing Tour and Trek Preparation.
After breakfast, proceed for a half-day sightseeing tour of Kathmandu City including the World Heritage Sites. It includes a tour of two sites among below:
- Pashupatinath Temple - the Temple of Lord Shiva situated on the bank of the holy Bagmati River. The temple is listed on a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Hanuman Dhoka (Kathmandu Durbar Square) - an ancient durbar (palace) with its numerous old palaces, temples, and pagodas, the Temple of Living Goddess “Kumari”, and the Kasthamandap Temple, which is believed to be constructed from the wood of a single tree from which Kathmandu derives its name.
- Bouddhanath Stupa- an ancient colossal stupa and the center of Tibetan Buddhism in the world
- Swayambhunath Stupa - the oldest Buddhist stupa of Nepal and has numerous shrines and monasteries on its premises. It is also known as the “Monkey Temple”!!
- Patan City - a city of 55 major temples, 136 Buddhist monasteries, and famous for the production of Thangka and Paubha Paintings.
- Narayan Hiti Palace Museum
- National Museum
The rest of the day is free for trekking preparation, such as trekking gear shopping, packing on a duffle bag, etc.
Eve: Trip briefing followed by welcome dinner at Authentic Nepali restaurant with cultural program.
Overnight at Hotel in Kathmandu. (B, D)
Day 03: Fly to Bhadrapur – 45 min and drive to Ilam (1,250m/4,100ft) – 95 km/ 3 hours
Timely, check out from the hotel and transfer to Kathmandu Domestic Airport to board an onward flight to Bhadrapur, Jhapa.
Upon arrival in Bhadrapur, meet the awaiting vehicle and start to drive to Ilam Bazar via Mechi Highway. En route, stop at Kanyam to explore the beautiful tea garden. Later, continue to drive through pristine landscapes of sloped tea gardens, thick natural forests. Upon arrival in Ilam Bazaar, check into the hotel and the rest of the time is free to stroll around Ilam Bazaar.
Overnight at Hotel in Ilam Bazaar. (B, D)
Day 04: Drive to Kaflepati (2,795m/9,168ft) – 168 Kms/6 hours and trek to Upper Phedi (3,150m/10,332ft)
After breakfast, checkout from the hotel and start driving towards Taplejung via Phidim. The scenic drive offers the breathtaking and magnificent sceneries of the snowcapped white mountains and lush green hills. With sufficient stops and rest for the acclimatization, we will make a flexible journey to Taplejung Bazar (1,820m/5,970ft) From Taplejung, we will drive uphill towards Suketar (2,420m/7,938ft). Passing Suketar Airport side, we will drive on a gravel road further to Kaflepati. Upon arrival in Kaflepati, start trek to Upper Phedi.
Overnight at teahouse lodge at Upper Phedi. (B, L, D)
Day 05: Excursion to Pathivara Devi Temple and return to Taplejung Bazar (1,820m/5,970ft)
Early morning, hike to Pathivara Devi Temple for worshipping Goddess Pathivara for about 3 hours. Every year, thousands of pilgrimages/devotees visit this temple. Mata Pathivara is also considered the goddess of desires. It is believed that the worshiper’s wishes and desires will be filled after visiting there. From the top, we will see stunning views of the Himalayas such as Mt. Kanchenjunga (8,586m), Mt. Kumbakarna. After worshipping, backtrack downhill to Upper Phedi and stop for Lunch. Then continue to walk up to Kaflepati and meet the awaiting vehicle. In the afternoon, drive back to Taplejung Bazaar. The rest of the time is free to stroll around and explore Bazaar.
Overnight at the hotel at Taplejung Bazaar. (B, L, D)
Day 06: Drive to Bhadrapur
After breakfast, check out from the lodge and start to drive to Bhadrapur via Mechi Highway enjoying the view of green hills, snow-capped mountains, rivers, tea gardens, and daily activities of the locals throughout the ride.
Overnight at a hotel in Bhadrapur. (B, L, D)
Day 07: Fly back to Kathmandu – 45 mins
Timely checkout from the hotel and transfer to Bhadrapur Domestic Airport to board an onward flight to Kathmandu to about 45 mins with the pleasant view of Himalayan Ranges including Kanchenjunga-Makalu-Everest-Rolwaling-Langtang massif.
Overnight at a hotel in Kathmandu. (B, L, D)
Day 08: Final Departure
Timely transfer to Tribhuvan International Airport to board an onward flight to home country 3 hours earlier to the scheduled flight departing time. We wish you a happy journey during your flight from Nepal to your home country with the hope to see you on your next visit to Nepal.
(Meals Included: Breakfast)
- All arrival and departures transfer will be assisted by the Tour Escorts.
- All the sightseeing tours in Kathmandu will be accompanied by an experienced English Speaking Tour Guide or any other language specialist on demand.
- During the trekking, a government-certified Trekking Guide will be with the group for the trek arrangements.
- One local guide to interpret languages with the local community.
- On a trek, porters will carry a duffel bag of 2 porters and ranges up to a maximum of 30 Kg/ 60 lbs. Guests are expected to carry only a small rucksack while walking to carry all the essentials such as water bottles, extra jackets, cameras, pack lunch, etc.
- All arrival and departure transfers, ground transport will be provided in an A/c private vehicle.
- Round Trip of Kathmandu/Bhadrapur/Kathmandu on a domestic flight.
- Drive from Bhadrapur-Taplejung-Kaflepati-Bhadrapur will be on a private 4WD Jeep.
- (If you wish to use the local transport, there will be changes on the time and the stopover location than mentioned above. This will be the customized trek, so the final itinerary will be prepared according to the demand of trekkers.)
Accommodation & Food
- For four nights in Kathmandu, there will be star-categorized hotels depending upon the choice of guests.
- Welcome and farewell dinner in Kathmandu
- At Taplejung and Bhadrapur, there will be tourist standard lodges which are based on availability)
- During trekking, we provide accommodation service on-mountain teahouse lodges. At the higher elevation, during the festival season, there is less possibility of getting room, so we do pre-booking with the help of a local guide who will be leading us on this trek. Timing for breakfast, lunches, dinner can be more or fewer changes due to the availability of lodges or the guest preferences.
- There will be a fixed menu for meals i.e. Nepalese Meal Set (Dal Bhat) in some places mostly at a higher elevation.
- Guests having any specific meal dietary requirements should inform us in advance.
- Meals are listed as above in Itinerary. (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
We request you to view the Itinerary and information herein as a guideline. The information provided in the itinerary is to the best of our knowledge, marginal variances in the actual distances and altitudes are possible. Weather conditions, roadblocks, local political conditions, flight cancellations, mechanical breakdowns, or other such unforeseeable circumstances can lead to a change in itinerary or means of transport.
It is important to purchase a comprehensive travel insurance policy against illness, hospitalization, flight delays, and loss of luggage, cancellations, and amendments due to weather conditions, political disturbances, or natural calamities as well as emergency helicopter evacuation. Before purchasing Travel Insurance, please ensure that the policy covers adventure activities and or trekking activity at around 3,000m.
The trek is easy to trek all groups of trekkers as well as for beginners. This trek involves walking 5-6 hours daily while ascending whereas, on returning, the trek will skip one camp). Previous walking experience at high altitudes is beneficial. The highest altitude that we attain on this trek is 3,794m/12,444ft at Pathibhara Devi Temple Premises. Physical fitness is essential & previous walking experience outdoor is essential.
The trekking area will lack an electricity facility and telephone network. We recommend you carry additional batteries for Cameras, or a Solar power bank to charge smartphones.