The Gurung village of Sikles has been established by the Annapurna Conservation Area project as a model trekking village and is an internal part of their eco-route. It is located to the northeast of Pokhara, at about 2000 meters elevation, in the shadow of Annapurna II and Lamjung Himal. It is a large village, possibly the second largest Gurung village in Nepal, and is a well-preserved example of traditional Gurung culture. While here, the trekker can easily spend several days experiencing local life-style, handicraft production, and sight-seeing. Of particular interest are the local cloth weaving and the ancient water-driven flour-mills.
This historic hill trek will bring you to this place, which still retains the aura of an ancient Gurung culture and heritages. Folk songs and dances are an important part of Gurung life and cultural performances are common occurrences in Sikles. This trek will be the combination of awesome Gurung culture, wonderful traditional village life, and Himalayan panorama of Annapurna range as well as Mardi Himal.
What are the attractions of trekking to Sikles?
- The Jhankri, the Shaman, and Lama the Priest have important roles in this Buddhist community, marriage, death, and day-to-day lives of people there.
- The Sikles village lies above the Mardi Khola river (1,981m), by overlooking Annapurna IV to the north and Annapurna and Lamjung Himal to the east.
- The major attraction of Sikles Trek is a Tara Hilltop (found by Gopi Adhikari), from where you can have the spectacular views of Annapurna South (7,219m), Himchuli(6,441m), Machhapuchhre (6,993m), Annapurna II (7,937m), Annapurna III (7,555m), Annapurna IV (7,525m), Lamjung Himal and Manaslu ranges.
- Kaphuche Lake, the lowest glacial lake located in the altitude of 2450 meters from the sea level. For this Lake, we have to extend our trek for 3 Days from Sikles Village with Camping.
How to reach Sikles?
- The trek to Sikles Village starts from Pokhara. Either drive about 7 hours on a private vehicle, or 25 minutes flight on a fixed domestic aircraft, we can reach Pokhara from the Capital city of Nepal, Nepal.
- From Pokhara, we can reach Sikles village in 5 hours on a local jeep. Local jeep is available at Kahun Khola, which is about 30 min drive from Pokhara Domestic Airport.
Where to stay?
- Star hotels are available in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Tea-house lodges are available at the trekking trails from Pokhara to Sikles.
- One can stay on Tea-house Lodge or Homestay in Sikles.
- If you wish to extend the trek to Kaphuche Lake, then camping is required at Goth, which is en-route.
- Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) permit
- Trekkers Information Management System (TIMS) permit.
If you love trekking and enjoy the rural lifestyle, then this is one of your destinations for your next vacation. The hospitality, love, care done by the local people will bring happiness on your face. It will be a worthy visit to Sikles Village.
If you have any queries or need any support, please comment here. If you are planning to make your trip to Nepal, I shall be grateful to help you to organize your trip to Nepal. Please connect me via Whatsapp, +977-9860804860.